Re: Duration of beta period

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duration of beta period
Date: 2002-02-25 00:09:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2002-02-25 at 05:29, Karl DeBisschop wrote:

> As for Linux, however, the RPMs are typically not available before late
> beta. I respectfully suggest that closer intergration of the packaging
> would allow more testing. If I can grab the snapshot, and run 'rpm -ta'
> to build packages, I can do that with alomost arbitrary frequency. Thus
> I could start testing much sooner. I know that would help for me, and I
> can't help but think it would help for others as well, whether we're
> talking about RPMs or any other packaging method.
>
> It's one thing to as people to run a test. It's another thing still to
> ask them to run that test when the only readily available test method
> bypasses whatever administrative packaing policy is in place on those
> machines.

Ditto, but for me it is Debian.

I would _really_ like to see basic packaging for RPM and Debian systems
incorporated into CVS / archives so that people like Karl and myself
could more easily build packages to install and test.

These don't have to have all of the bells and whistles of the formal
packages, but I would certainly have been running a beta of 7.2, had
packages been available prior to release.

Regards,
Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201 MOB: +64(21)635-694 OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
Are you enrolled at http://schoolreunions.co.nz/ yet?