Re: Disallow cancellation of waiting for synchronous replication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Disallow cancellation of waiting for synchronous replication
Date: 2019-12-20 21:19:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrey Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> writes:
> I think proper solution here would be to add GUC to disallow cancellation of synchronous replication.

This sounds entirely insane to me. There is no possibility that you
can prevent a failure from occurring at this step.

> Three is still a problem when backend is not canceled, but terminated [2].

Exactly. If you don't have a fix that handles that case, you don't have
anything. In fact, you've arguably made things worse, by increasing the
temptation to terminate or "kill -9" the nonresponsive session.