Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)krosing(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0 ??
Date: 2002-02-21 18:21:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2002-02-22 at 01:11, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > I know how it's pronounced, I never said anything to the contrary! The
> > actual fact that there is a need for the pronunciation on the webpage
> > hints at my point - it's a real mouthful!
> >
> > And as I said this was a 'whimsical' post - I don't really care either
> > way what the name is... But i'm sure most people shorten it to
> > Postgres.
>
> I shorten it to PgSQL, and just 'pronounce' the letters *shrug*

I often omit the the -gre- part so it comes out as PostSQL - most people
never notice..

> Postgres is a different project, with a different Query langauge ...

Postgres 95 is what - a different project with the same query language,
or the same project with a different name?

Of course we should have gone the industry standard way - first to
Postgres 98, then 5.0/2000 and then XP :)

Btw there are rumours that the next version of Windows will be based on
relational data storage thus they too will reach WindowSQL soon. Hah!

Hannu