Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: should we enable log_checkpoints out of the box?
Date: 2021-10-31 19:43:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2021-10-31 10:59:19 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> No DBA would be likely to consider it as anything but log spam.

> I don't agree at all. No postgres instance should be run without
> log_checkpoints enabled. Performance is poor if checkpoints are
> triggered by anything but time, and that can only be diagnosed if
> log_checkpoints is on.

This is complete nonsense. If we think that's a generic problem, we
should be fixing the problem (ie, making the checkpointer smarter);
not expecting that DBAs will monitor their logs for an undocumented
issue. The number of installations where that would actually happen
is epsilon compared to the number where it won't.