Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Another modest proposal for docs formatting: catalog descriptions
Date: 2020-05-05 23:42:52
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Here's a really quick-n-dirty prototype patch that just converts the
pg_aggregate table to the proposed style, plus a screenshot for those
who don't feel like actually building the docs with the patch.

Looking at the results, it seems like we could really use a bit more
horizontal space between the column names and data types, and perhaps
also between the types and the (references) annotations. Other than
that it looks decent. I don't know what's the cleanest way to add
some space there --- I'd rather not have the SGML text do it explicitly.

There's room for complaint that this takes up more vertical space than
the old way, assuming you have a reasonably wide window. I'm not
terribly bothered by that, but maybe someone else will be? I'm inclined
to think that that's well worth the benefit that we won't feel compelled
to keep column descriptions short.

BTW, this being just a test hack, I repurposed the "func_table_entry" and
"func_signature" style marker roles. If we do this for real then of
course we'd want to use different roles, even if they happen to mark up
the same for now.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_aggregate-description.patch text/x-diff 15.1 KB
pg_aggregate.png image/png 338.6 KB