Re: Win32 port

From: Steve Howe <howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Win32 port
Date: 2002-11-07 06:28:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Bruce,

BM> I have thrown out the idea and some felt that if we could get PITR and
BM> Win32, that would be enough for a release, even if we could get it done
BM> in a month or two.

BM> However, I see your point that releasing too often causes too many
BM> initdb's.

BM> What do others want, a regular 4-6 month cycle or a shorter one?
The initdb will be needed, no matter the release time is a month or
six, right ? There is no point in holding technology that is ready.
Those who don't need the release, can wait for the next one and avoid
the initdb.

Also, as a snapshot, the Win32 version won't get properly tested as it
would be as a regular release, specially because most of the
developers here work on UNIX. The best field testing would be
deploying a regular release to the hundreds of Win32 users that wait
for years for the Win32 version...

... just my thoughts, of course.

Best regards,
Steve Howe mailto:howe(at)carcass(dot)dhs(dot)org