Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Stefan Schwarzer" <stefan(dot)schwarzer(at)grid(dot)unep(dot)ch>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forgot to dump old data before re-installing machine
Date: 2008-01-18 17:08:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

"Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On 18/01/2008, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Zero cost and also zero benefit. The missing piece of information here
>> was that the executable being used was running under PPC emulation, and
>> I'll bet money that there would have been nothing in either uname or
>> pg_config output that would have told us that.

> I'd wager there would be a fairly good chance that a PPC-only binary
> on a Mac would most likely have been built on a PPC, and thus mention
> that in the uname output at build time. I can't imagine many folks are
> building PPC-only binaries on Intels.

uname is a separate executable. If you do system("uname") you'll get
results that reflect how uname was built, not how Postgres was built.

I think this is likely to lead to more confusion, not less --- if we'd
had such output in the directory, it might have led us to disregard
the clear evidence of the wrong-endian version number, and fruitlessly
bark up some other tree instead.