Re: Frontend/backend protocol authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frontend/backend protocol authentication
Date: 2002-07-09 04:11:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Schuller <peter(dot)schuller(at)infidyne(dot)com> writes:
> I'm attempting to implement a PosrgreSQL client in Squeak. I'm sending
> what I believe to be a correct StartupPacket, but PostgreSQL
> responds with an ErrorResponse: "FATAL 1: Password auth. failed...".

> But I never asked for password authentication!

Uh, what *do* you have in pg_hba.conf, then?

It might also help to look at the postmaster's log (stderr or syslog
output) --- many kinds of auth failures report more info in the log
than they are willing to tell the client.

regards, tom lane

PS: this seems more on-topic for pgsql-interfaces than -general.