Re: odd alter_generic regression failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: odd alter_generic regression failures
Date: 2012-10-15 15:29:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We seem to have an intermittent failure on the alter_generic tests that
> look like this:

> SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION regtest_alter_user1;
> CREATE FUNCTION alt_func1(int) RETURNS int LANGUAGE sql
> AS 'SELECT $1 + 1';
> + ERROR: permission denied for language sql
> CREATE FUNCTION alt_func2(int) RETURNS int LANGUAGE sql
> AS 'SELECT $1 - 1';
> + ERROR: permission denied for language sql
> CREATE AGGREGATE alt_agg1 (
> sfunc1 = int4pl, basetype = int4, stype1 = int4, initcond = 0
> );

I poked around and realized that the reason for this is that it's run in
parallel with the "privileges" test, which does:

REVOKE ALL PRIVILEGES ON LANGUAGE sql FROM PUBLIC;
... various stuff ...
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON LANGUAGE sql TO PUBLIC;

So the current placement of that test is no better than the original :-(
I'll put it someplace else.