Re: On Complex Source Code Reading Strategy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Zeray Kalayu <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On Complex Source Code Reading Strategy
Date: 2017-07-27 23:45:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> 2. Start somewhere. I have no idea where that should be, but it has to
> be some particular place that seems interesting to you.

Don't forget to start with the available documentation, ie
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/internals.html
You should certainly read
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/overview.html
and depending on what your interests are, there are probably other
chapters of Part VII that are worth your time.

Also keep an eye out for README files in the part of the source
tree you're browsing in.