seeking advise on char vs text or varchar in search table

From: chrisj <chrisj(dot)wood(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: seeking advise on char vs text or varchar in search table
Date: 2007-04-20 14:23:58
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have a table that contains a column for keywords that I expect to become
quite large and will be used for web searches. I will either index the
column or come up with a simple hashing algorithm add the hash key to the
table and index that column.

I am thinking the max length in the keyword column I need to support is 30,
but the average would be less than10

Any suggestions on whether to use char(30), varchar(30) or text, would be
appreciated. I am looking for the best performance option, not necessarily
the most economical on disk.

Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.