Re: Improving our clauseless-join heuristics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving our clauseless-join heuristics
Date: 2012-04-19 05:33:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com> writes:
> The way I am telling was as below code.
> With this extra paths will get generated, but it will as well consider for
> joining c and d in query:
> select * from a, b, c, d where a.x = b.y and (a.z = c.c or a.z = d.d)

I think this would just be dead code as of HEAD. With the recent
changes in the definition of have_relevant_joinclause, if we get into
make_rels_by_clause_joins there should always be at least one other
relation that the old_rel is considered to join to. In any case,
I don't see the point of adding more logic to make_rels_by_clause_joins
unless it allows us to take out as much or more work elsewhere.