Re: [Fwd: Re: Problems with truncated BLOB]

From: Mihael Vrbanec <miqster(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Problems with truncated BLOB]
Date: 2001-11-27 01:39:25
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Barry,

> I have been able to reproduce your problem with the 7.1 drivers, but not
> with the 7.2 drivers. It appears that this is bug is already fixed in
> current sources.

Ok, sounds promising. Now i have a couple of questions:
1. Do I only need the new driver and can I use it with 7.1??
If so, where can I get it??
2. If I need to use 7.2 (is not released yet, afaik), is it quite stable
and can it be used in a low risk/low load environment without breaking
too much?? It is important that the system works most of the time...:-)

> Note however that the functionality around get/setBinaryStream() has
> changed in 7.2. In 7.2 the default behavior is that binary data is
> assumed to be in a column of type bytea. So you would create a table
> as: create table blobs (filename text, data bytea) instead of using the
> OID datatype as in 7.1 (create table blobs (filename text, data OID)).
> For backward compatibility you can revert the driver back to the old
> behavior of using LargeObjects (i.e. OIDs) by passing the compatible=7.1
> parameter to the connection. (This can be done by addint
> '?compatible=7.1' to the end of the jdbc connection url.
>
> Attached are modified versions of the test case you sent that work for
> me using the 7.2 drivers (but do show the bug using the 7.1 drivers).
> The first (BlobTest.java) uses the new functionality and requires that
> the table 'blobs' have a column named 'data' of type 'bytea'. The
> second (BlobTest2.java) uses the backward compatible mode and requires
> that the table 'blobs2' have a column named 'data' of type 'oid'.

Thanks a lot for your fast and helpful responses!!!!

bxe Miq

--
** Mihael Vrbanec --- Uni Karlsruhe **
*** eMail: miqster(at)gmx(dot)net ***