Re: Checksums by default?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checksums by default?
Date: 2017-01-25 19:41:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Would you say that most user's databases run fast enough with checksums
> enabled? Or more than most, maybe 70%? 80%? In today's environment,
> I'd probably say that it's more like 90+%.

It would be nice if there were some actual evidence about this, rather
than numbers picked out of the air.

> I agree that it's unfortunate that we haven't put more effort into
> fixing that- I'm all for it, but it's disappointing to see that people
> are not in favor of changing the default as I believe it would both help
> our users and encourage more development of the feature.

I think the really key point is that a whole lot of infrastructure work
needs to be done still, and changing the default before that work has been
done is not going to be user-friendly. The most pressing issue being the
difficulty of changing the setting after the fact. It would be a *whole*
lot easier to sell default-on if there were a way to turn it off, and yet
you want us to buy into default-on before that way exists. Come back
after that feature is in, and we can talk.