Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid
Date: 2018-05-27 17:22:21
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> On May 27, 2018 9:39:49 AM PDT, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
>> How about only keeping the critical info for being able to find
>> relations in the .init files, and then fully populate the cache by
>> doing a normal lookup?

> Then the cache wouldn't have any benefits, no? It's been a while, but last time I checked it does make quite a measurable performance difference in a new backend.

Yeah, we don't want to lose the performance benefit. But I don't think
there's any need for special magic here: we just have to accept the fact
that there's a need to flush that cache sometimes. In normal use it
shouldn't happen often enough to be a performance problem.

FWIW, I'm not on board with "memcpy the whole row". I think the right
thing is more like what we do in RelationReloadIndexInfo, ie copy over
the specific fields that we expect to be mutable.