Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client
Date: 2023-01-14 15:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2023-01-13 Fr 19:48, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Attached are two patches, one for PG git and one for the buildfarm
>> client, that create a working POC for this approach.

> OK, we've been on parallel tracks (sorry about that). Let's run with
> yours, as it covers more ground.

Cool.

> One thing I would change is that your adjust_database_contents tries to
> make the adjustments rather than passing back a set of statements.

Agreed. I'd thought maybe adjust_database_contents would need to
actually interact with the target DB; but experience so far says
that IF EXISTS conditionality is sufficient, so we can just build
a static list of statements to issue. It's definitely a simpler
API that way.

> I also tried to remove a lot of the ugly release tag processing,
> leveraging our PostgreSQL::Version gadget. I think that's worthwhile too.

OK, I'll take a look at that and make a new draft.