Re: Is querying SPITupleTable with SQL possible?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Mercha <mercha_t(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is querying SPITupleTable with SQL possible?
Date: 2019-10-02 14:11:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Mercha <mercha_t(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> I am using PostgreSQL's SPI to execute a simple SQL query (SELECT * FROM
> ...) via SPI_exec. As a a result, I get an SPITupleTable with the
> results of my query.
> Now that I have the SPITupleTable, I was wondering if it would be
> possible to later query over it further in my SQL statements using SPI,
> for example, something a bit similar to SPI_Exec ("Select * FROM
> :mySPITupleTable", 0);

It's possible you could use the "transition table" (aka
EphemeralNamedRelation) infrastructure for this, though I'm not sure
if it's really a close fit, or whether it's been built out enough to
support this usage. From memory, it wants to work with tuplestores,
which are a bit heavier-weight than SPITupleTables.