Upper case or lower case....

From: "Franz J Fortuny" <ffortuny(at)ivsol(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Upper case or lower case....
Date: 2000-08-21 17:49:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

This statement:

create table tabname
(
field1 integer,
field2 integer
);

creates a table with tablename "tabname", lower case or IRRELEVANT
CASE?

Also, field1 is "field1" (all lower case) or is it case irrelevant?

The problem we are having is that those queries we have working for
our commercial database, create, at the commercial database, a table
with name "TABNAME", and the fields are "FIELD1" and "FIELD2".

If you use C++ Builder from Borland/Inprise, you will notice that
the column names come in lower case when the origing is a postgreSQL
database, and in UPPER CASE when the database is the commercial one
we are using.

Is there a way to configure the behavior of PostgreSQL so that it
will not consider case relevant anything that goes without quotes?

All of the commercial products return UPPER CASE (with the the
borland/inprice c++ 5 tool). Only PostgreSQL returns lower case
names for the columns. This really means a serious drawback for
programmers:

This code,

qQuery1COLUMNSO->AsInteger...

is automatically created by the builder when the column names are
retrieved from the database, if the database is a commercial one. If
it is PostgreSQL, it returns this:

qQuery1columnso->AsInteger...

As this can be very easily seen, it doesn't help in making things
easy when one is intending to develop applications that should run
against any SQL Server. I have been trying to find ways to make
PostgreSQL apply the policy of giving out always upper case names,
but I have not been able to find this. It is a hassle to have to
transform all the queries which were "select col,col2,col3 from
tabname" to "select "COL","COL2","COL3" from "TABNAME" " An
unthinkable job.

Any suggestions?

Franz J Fortuny