Re: FAQ or so?

From: Francois Suter <dba(at)paragraf(dot)ch>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Christophe Arnu <jx(at)tuxfarm(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FAQ or so?
Date: 2005-02-24 09:30:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> This is the heart of the matter. Actually addressing the issue of
> "someone to sue" is probably irrelevant. Finding what it is that
> drives their fear is the important thing. Then, you either need to
> neutralise that fear or reverse it (so they fear NOT switching). This
> sort of stuff is routine with sales-people, harder for most technical
> types.
>
> > People doesn't want (cowardness regarding to their carreer in
>> public or private area) to take the risk of making choices that could
>> make them appear as only responsible as person.
>
> Fear of failure is usually stronger than desire for success. Also,
> don't forget they or their colleagues might have put a lot of
> effort/reputation into installing Oracle/MSSQL in the first place.

<rant>
Yep, that's a sickness that started to develop strongly in the 90's.
With the markets being much more tense and companies being punished in
the stock exchange not for losing money, but just for making less of
it, the managers started not wanting to take decisions anymore. They
called in more and more consultants so that they could point their
finger at them in case of failure. I was a consultant for a couple of
years and hated it all along. It was very far away from my personal
ethics.
</rant>

Sorry for the rant, but I fully agree: it's most probably a
psychological problem. Using a big name database seems so much
reassuring...

Cheers

Francois

Home page: http://www.monpetitcoin.com/

"If it's not from me, it's from Confucius" - Lao Tse