Re: [Slightly OT] data model books/resources?

From: "Ted Byers" <r(dot)ted(dot)byers(at)rogers(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Slightly OT] data model books/resources?
Date: 2006-03-31 22:49:35
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thursday 30 March 2006 03:03, Aaron Glenn wrote:
>> Anyone care to share the great books, articles, manifestos, notes,
>> leaflets, etc on data modelling they've come across? Ideally I'd like
>> to find a great college level book on data models, but I haven't come
>> across one that even slightly holds "definitive resource"-type status.
>>

> I've heard that "Relational Database Design" (ISBN: 0123264251) is good
> for
> college level introductory material, though the book I generally recommend
> most is "Practical Issues in Database Management" (ISBN: 0201485559)
>
>> Feel free to reply off list to keep the clutter down - I'd be happy to
>> summarize responses for the list.
>>

> We're all about clutter :-)

Well then, in that case, can I add to the clutter by asking a question about
IT training? I was just asked today, by a vice president in the company I'm
working with, to train one of his staff to become a database programmer and
administrator. I have taught software engineering using UML, and
programming in Java and C++. I have not taught database programming and
administration, although I have done some of each for some of my own
applications.

My Question? Can the folk in this group help me develop a reading list and
a list of competencies for this fellow to master? While I can easily
develop a list of books dealing with databases in general and SQL in
particular, it is not so easy to separate the wheat from the chaff, and I do
not want to waste a pile of money on evaluating the range of books that are
available. I'd therefore like accounts of books to avoid, and why, as well
as books that are essential in any respectable collection, and why. I'm
interested both in text books, with exercises, and reference books (both
theoretical and practical).

Thanks

Ted