Re: Getting ERROR: could not open file "base/13164/t3_16388" with partition table with ON COMMIT

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting ERROR: could not open file "base/13164/t3_16388" with partition table with ON COMMIT
Date: 2018-11-05 04:37:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018/11/05 9:19, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2018 at 04:39:07PM +0900, Amit Langote wrote:
>> Agreed that they're two independent issues, although it wouldn't be such a
>> bad idea to fix them in one go, as they're both issues related to the
>> handling of ON COMMIT actions on tables in inheritance trees.
>
> I have pushed 0001 which fixes the bug reported on this thread down to
> v10, after tweaking a bit the patch after more review. I was testing
> heap_truncate_one_rel() a bit more deeply and it actually happens that
> it can work with matviews. Re-reading the thread and sleeping on it,
> Tom was been actually suggesting to move the check one level down to
> heap_truncate_one_rel(), which actually makes more sense. So I have
> changed the patch so as a check on RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE is done
> instead of RELKIND_RELATION which is what has been proposed until now.

Okay, it's good that heap_truncate_one_rel() continues to work for all
relation types that can have storage. Thanks for making the changes
yourself and committing.

> Regarding the second patch, could you start a second thread? The scope
> is not only related to partitioned tables but also to inheritance trees
> so this goes way back in time, and I think that we could attract a
> better audience about the problem. I don't mind starting a thread
> myself, not without your authorization as you wrote a patch to deal with
> the problem. My apologies, I have not looked at what you are proposing
> yet.

Okay, no problem. I will post that patch in a new thread detailing what
the problem is and how the proposed patch fixes it.

Thanks,
Amit