Re: Hash Joins vs. Bloom Filters / take 2

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hash Joins vs. Bloom Filters / take 2
Date: 2018-03-02 00:04:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 3/1/18 6:52 PM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 03/02/2018 12:31 AM, Andres Freund wrote:

>>> master,

>>> It isn't a massive invasive patch either, though, so I object to moving
>>> it to 2018-09 right away.
>>
>> Why do we have rules around not submitting large stuff to the last
>> cf, if we just not follow through? We're neck deep in patches that
>> are older. And you've already gotten a fair bit of feedback..
>>

> It was not my intention to break (or even bend) the CF rules, of course.
> I haven't considered the patch to be "large stuff", while you do. I see
> Peter Geoghegan agrees with your conclusion on another thread, so go
> ahead and move it to 2018-09.

After reviewing the thread I also agree that this should be pushed to
2018-09, so I have done so.

I'm very excited by this patch, though. In general I agree with Peter
that a higher rate of false positives is acceptable to save memory. I
also don't see any reason why this can't be tuned with a parameter.
Start with a conservative default and allow the user to adjust as desired.

--
-David
david(at)pgmasters(dot)net