Re: idle-in-transaction timeout error does not give a hint

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: idle-in-transaction timeout error does not give a hint
Date: 2019-03-28 09:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-11-28 04:17, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> + errmsg("terminating connection due to idle-in-transaction timeout"),
> + errhint("In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the"
> + " database and repeat your command.")));

Personally, I don't find this hint particularly necessary. The session
was terminated because nothing was happening, so the real fix on the
application side is probably more involved than just retrying. This is
different from some of the other cases that were cited, such as
serialization conflicts, where you just got unlucky due to concurrent
events. In the case of idle-in-transaction-timeout, the fault is
entirely your own.