Re: Add a GUC variable that control logical replication

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Quan Zongliang <zongliang(dot)quan(at)postgresdata(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add a GUC variable that control logical replication
Date: 2019-11-01 12:49:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-10-20 00:23, Euler Taveira wrote:
>> You can probably achieve that using ALTER PUBLICATION to disable
>> publication of deletes or truncates, as the case may be, either
>> permanently or just for the duration of the operations you want to skip.
>>
> ... then you are skipping all tables in the publication.

You can group tables into different publications and set the
subscription to subscribe to multiple publications if you need this kind
of granularity.

In any case, this kind of thing needs to be handled by the decoding
plugin based on its configuration policies and depending on its needs.
For example, let's say you have two decoding plugins running: one for a
replication system and one for writing an audit log. It would not be
appropriate to disable logging for both of them because of some
performance optimization for one of them. And it would also not be
appropriate to do this with a USERSET setting.

If we need different hooks or more DDL commands do this better, then
that can be considered. But this seems to be the wrong way to do it.