Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml

From: Brar Piening <brar(at)gmx(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add id's to various elements in protocol.sgml
Date: 2021-12-17 23:53:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 17, 2021 at 08:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 15.12.21 16:59, Brar Piening wrote:
>>> Yeah, I think not adding them until we have a use for them might be
>>> wisest.
>> A new version of the patch that doesn't add xreflabels is attached.
>
> Now this patch adds a bunch of ids, but you can't use them to link to,
> because as soon as you do, you will get complaints about a missing
> xreflabel.  So what is the remaining purpose?

The purpose is that you can directly link to the id in the public html
docs which still gets generated (e. g.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/protocol-replication.html#PROTOCOL-REPLICATION-BASE-BACKUP).

Essentially it gives people discussing the protocol and pointing to a
certain command or message format the chance to link to the very thing
they are discussing instead of the top of the lengthy html page.