design resource

From: "Edward W(dot) Rouse" <erouse(at)comsquared(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: design resource
Date: 2008-06-05 14:14:04
Lists: pgsql-sql

I was wondering if there were any resources that have some table designs for common problems. Since that isn't very clear I will
give an example.

We have an internal app from years back that needs to be updated. One of the problems is that when it was originally created, the
company only had US customers. We now have international customers and need to support international addresses and phone numbers.
For the phone numbers that means adding a new column for international code or expanding the data field so that it's big enough to
hold the international prefix (still not sure which approach is best). But I haven't a clue as to how to set up for international
addresses.

So I was hoping there would be a resource that I could check where these kinds of data sets have been 'solved' to ease the effort. I
have several books on design patterns for programming but I've not seen a design patterns book for common database problems. Thanks.

Edward W. Rouse

ComSquared Systems, Inc.

770-734-5301