Deprecate floating point timestamps.

From: Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Deprecate floating point timestamps.
Date: 2017-02-19 22:01:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Over in the "Keeping pg_recvlogical's "feTimestamp" separate from
TimestampTz"...

On 2/17/17 12:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I am not sure that it was really a good design to pretend that the
> replication protocol is independent of --disable-integer-datetimes
> when the underlying WAL stream most certainly isn't.

Ok, I'll open the can of worms...

- Should replication be changed to obey --disable-integer-datetimes?
- Should we consider formally deprecating FP timestamps, starting with
no longer supporting SR?

While #2 may sound rather severe, I'm wondering if a different datatype
for timestamps stored as floats would ease that pain.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)