Re: security_definer_search_path GUC

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Isaac Morland" <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Mark Dilger" <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Marko Tiikkaja" <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Chapman Flack" <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>
Subject: Re: security_definer_search_path GUC
Date: 2021-06-04 09:17:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 4, 2021, at 08:58, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> It is the same as using the command line without the possibility to customize the PATH variable. The advantages and disadvantages are exactly the same.

The reason why we even have PATH in the *nix world,
is not because they *wanted* to separate things (like we want with schemas or extensions),
but because they *needed* to, because /bin was overflowed:

"The UNIX shell gave up the Multics idea of a search path and looked for program names that weren’t
file names in just one place, /bin. Then in v3 /bin overflowed the small (256K), fast fixed-head drive.
Thus was /usr/bin born, and the idea of a search path reinstated." [1]

[1] https://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~doug/reader.pdf

/Joel