Re: How to get started with contribution

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sukhbir Singh <singhsukhbir369(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to get started with contribution
Date: 2023-12-17 17:16:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 12/17/23 17:34, Julien Rouhaud wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 17, 2023 at 03:09:10PM +0000, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
>>
>> I am Sukhbir Singh, a B.Tech undergraduate, and I am in my pre-final year at
>> Punjab Engineering College (PEC). I am new to open source but know Python,
>> PostgreSQL, C, Javascript and node.js. I would love to contribute to your
>> organization, but could you please tell me how to get started?
>
> You can look at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/So,_you_want_to_be_a_developer%3F, it's a good
> starting point with many links to additional resources.

Yeah, there's also a Developer FAQ (linked from that wiki page) [1],
discussing various steps in the development process in more detail.

But I think all of this ignores a step that's fairly hard for new
contributors - finding what to work on. Without that, knowing the
technical stuff is a bit pointless :-(

Sukhbir, do you have any idea what you'd like to work on? General area
of interest, tool you'd be interested in, etc.? Maybe take a look at
what other people work on in the commitfest app [2], and review a couple
patches that you find interesting.

That'll allow you to setup the environment, get familiar with the core
and various development tasks (running tests, ..).

If you get stuck. ask in this thread and we'll try to help you.

[1] https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Developer_FAQ

[2] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/

regards

--