Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2018-02-05 20:59:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/05/2018 09:27 PM, Mark Dilger wrote:

>> BTW while working on the regression tests, I've noticed that brin.sql
>> fails to test a couple of minmax opclasses (e.g. abstime/reltime). Is
>> that intentional or is that something we should fix eventually?
>
> I believe abstime/reltime are deprecated. Perhaps nobody wanted to
> bother adding test coverage for deprecated classes? There was another
> thread that discussed removing these types. The consensus seemed to
> be in favor of removing them, though I have not seen a patch for that yet.

Yeah, that's what I've been wondering about too. There's also this
comment in nabstime.h:

/*
* Although time_t generally is a long int on 64 bit systems, these two
* types must be 4 bytes, because that's what pg_type.h assumes. They
* should be yanked (long) before 2038 and be replaced by timestamp and
* interval.
*/

But then why adding BRIN opclasses at all? And if adding them, why not
to test them? We all know how long deprecation takes, particularly for
data types.

For me the question is whether to bother with adding the multi-minmax
opclasses, of course.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com