Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql
Date: 2015-09-16 09:35:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

This is the 2nd iteration of this patch, for comments and review.

Changes:

- the arguments can be column names (rather than only numbers).

- the horizontal headers are sorted server-side according to their original
type. DESC order is possible by prefixing the column arg with a minus sign.

- the command is now modelled after \g so it can be used
in place of \g

- the title is no longer set by the command, it was getting in the
way when outputting to data file.

- there's a hard limit on 1600 columns. This is to fail early and clean
on large resultsets that are not amenable to being rotated.

- includes SGML user doc.

As I don't have plans for further improvements, I'll submit this one
to the open commitfest.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Attachment Content-Type Size
psql-rotate-v2.diff text/x-patch 23.3 KB