Re: Complex outer joins?

From: "Correia, Carla" <Carla(dot)Correia(at)logicacmg(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Complex outer joins?
Date: 2003-03-27 13:42:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi...

Postgres 7.3

I'm using the copy command to fill my tables. I've got this file with the
data with delimiter '\t' and 'isnull' for nulls as follows:

copy mytable FROM
'/usr/share/postgresql/data1/skripte/Daten/mytable' using delimiters '\t'
with null as 'isnull';

But I receive an error saying that 'the value is too long for type
varying(1)' This because I am filling a column defined as numeric(1) with
nulls.

But if I insert some values into the table with 'insert', including nulls
and then do

copy mytable TO '/usr/share/postgresql/data1/skripte/Daten/mytable'
using delimiters '\t' with null as 'isnull';

the file looks exactly the same as my original one.
Am i missing something??

thanks!
Carla