Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Guido Neitzer <guido(dot)neitzer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc" <mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc>, "Arjen van der Meijden" <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>, "Vivek Khera" <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, "Pgsql-Performance ((((E-mail))))" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Opteron vs. Xeon "benchmark"
Date: 2006-09-23 13:16:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 23-Sep-06, at 9:00 AM, Guido Neitzer wrote:

> I find the benchmark much more interesting in comparing PostgreSQL to
> MySQL than Intel to AMD. It might be as biased as other "benchmarks"
> but it shows clearly something that a lot of PostgreSQL user always
> thought: MySQL gives up on concurrency ... it just doesn't scale well.
>
> cug

Before you get too carried away with this benchmark, you should
review the previous comments on this thread.
Not that I don't agree, but lets put things in perspective.

1) The database fits entirely in memory, so this is really only
testing CPU, not I/O which should be taken into account IMO
2) The machines were not "equal" The AMD boxes did not have as much ram.

DAVE