Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2
Date: 2020-09-25 19:48:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

FIPS only specifies which algorithms are approved for use on it. For instance, MD-5 is NOT approved at all under FIPS. I would say any algorithm should produce the same result regardless of where it is run. BTW, on Redhat servers, the first algorithm listed for use with SSH is MD-5. This causes the sshd daemon to abort when FIPS is enabled and that config file has not been edited. So, you can no longer connect with an SSH client as the daemon isn’t running. Ask me how I know this.

Sent from my iPad