Re: ERROR: relative path not allowed for COPY to file

From: Ilya Makarov <makarov(dot)tula(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Katona, Steve" <SKatona(at)begavalley(dot)nsw(dot)gov(dot)au>
Cc: "<pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: relative path not allowed for COPY to file
Date: 2013-02-15 03:50:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi. Is this path(”C:/Dev/test.csv") on the server with PostgreSQL database? You can't COPY to file on the client machine.

Part from man pages (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-copy.html):
Files named in a COPY command are read or written directly by the server, not by the client application. Therefore, they must reside on or be accessible to the database server machine, not the client. They must be accessible to and readable or writable by the PostgreSQL user (the user ID the server runs as), not the client. COPY naming a file is only allowed to database superusers, since it allows reading or writing any file that the server has privileges to access.

Best regards,
Ilya Makarov