Re: Timezones (in 8.5?)

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: hernan gonzalez <hgonzalez(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timezones (in 8.5?)
Date: 2009-11-29 18:49:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 28, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think there is general agreement that we should have a timezone data
> type which validates against pg_timezone_names().name. It might be
> enough to just document how users can create such a domain data type,
> but I don't know of a way to do that. Is this a TODO?

From http://justatheory.com/computers/databases/postgresql/citext-patch-submitted.html

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION is_timezone( tz TEXT ) RETURNS BOOLEAN as $$
BEGIN
PERFORM now() AT TIME ZONE tz;
RETURN TRUE;
EXCEPTION WHEN invalid_parameter_value THEN
RETURN FALSE;
END;
$$ language plpgsql STABLE;

CREATE DOMAIN timezone AS CITEXT
CHECK ( is_timezone( value ) );

It could also be TEXT I suppose, but "America/Los_Angeles" and "america/los_angeles" should be considered the same.

Best,

David