Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lock problem with autovacuum truncating heap
Date: 2011-03-27 13:13:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 26, 2011, at 4:16 PM, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> That was what I meant. Go in steps of 16-64MB backwards and scan from there to the current end in forward direction to find a nondeletable block. In between these steps, release and reacquire the exclusive lock so that client transactions can get their work done.

Well, VACUUM uses a 16MB ring buffer, so anything that size or smaller should hit shared_buffers most of the time.

I wonder though if this might defeat read-behind on operating systems that do have a working implementation. With our current approach each read will end at the point the previous read started, which might be an algorithm somebody is using to detect a backward scan.

...Robert