Intel SSD

From: Sebastian Böhm <seb(at)exse(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Intel SSD
Date: 2009-02-11 02:24:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I consider buying one of these Intel SSDs for my Database (MLC).

I have a few questions regarding this, maybe some of you already have
some experience with that.

- which files should not be put onto the SSD (pg_clog ? pg_xlog ? ) to
reduce wear (which may be an issue with the MLC variant)

- is there really a significant performance gain for random reads on a
30GB Database ?

-are there guides for tuning pg on SSD available ? (I guess some of
the Planner Cost Constants should be quite differend on an SSD to
achive optimal performance, as random_page_cost and seq_page_cost may
be quite identical )

currently I have a lot of small random reads/writes causing heavy
iowait.

thanks
/sebastian