pg_upgrade + Extensions

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Smitha Pamujula <smitha(dot)pamujula(at)iovation(dot)com>, Grant Holly <grant(dot)holly(at)iovation(dot)com>
Subject: pg_upgrade + Extensions
Date: 2015-07-10 17:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

My co-workers tell me that pg_upgrade told them to drop the colnames and hostname extensions before upgrading from 9.3 to 9.4. Fortunately, Postgres had not recorded any dependencies on functions from these extensions (not sure why not, since we do user them, but for the moment grateful), so it wasn’t a big deal to drop them and then add them back after finishing the upgrade. But frankly I don’t understand why this was necessary. It’s true that they’re C extensions with shared libraries, but there are separate .so files for the 9.3 and 9.4 installs.

Would there be a way to convince pg_upgrade that extensions don’t need to be dropped before upgrading?

Thanks,

David