Re: Adding the optional clause 'AS' in CREATE TRIGGER

From: "Okano, Naoki" <okano(dot)naoki(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding the optional clause 'AS' in CREATE TRIGGER
Date: 2016-11-16 07:31:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> But in any case it would be a serious mistake to do this without first
> implementing CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER. I think that's an entirely separate
> proposal and you would be well advised to treat it as such.
I see. There are more problems than I expected...
Let me start with 'OR REPLACE' clause.

At least, adding only 'OR REPLACE' clause has the following advantages.
* It enables users to redefine a trigger in single command.
* The trigger can always be referenced when redefining a trigger.
# But it is not so when using 'DROP' and 'CREATE' commands.
It is useful when users change the function or change the condition of 'WHEN' clause.

Regard,
Okano Naoki
Fujitsu