Re: Initialization of ResultTupleSlot in AppendNode

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Initialization of ResultTupleSlot in AppendNode
Date: 2011-09-16 06:51:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> That also holds the plan's output tuple descriptor. If you tried to
> remove it, I think the ExecAssignResultTypeFromTL call would crash.
> And if you removed *that*, upper nodes would get unhappy, cf
> ExecGetResultType.
Yes, this is true. However upper nodes doesn't need in all cases, so is it
possible that ExecGetResultType should check if ResultTupleSlot is NULL,
then does functionality similar to ExecAssignResultTypeFromTL, to return
tuple descriptor.
This can save everytime allocation of ResultTupleSlot for AppendNode.

but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is