RE: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant' <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>, Jing Wang <jingwangian(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Libpq support to connect to standby server as priority
Date: 2019-09-11 00:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant [mailto:alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org]
> Testing protocol version 2 is difficult! Almost every single test fails
> because of error messages being reported differently; and streaming
> replication (incl. pg_basebackup) doesn't work at all because it's not
> possible to establish replication connections. Manual inspection shows
> it behaves correctly.

Yeah, the code path for protocol v2 is sometimes annoying. I wish v2 support will be dropped soon. I know there was a discussion on it, but I didn't track the conclusion.

> Remaining patchset attached (per my count it's v13 of your patchset.

I'm afraid those weren't attached.

> think we should merge one half of it with each of the other two patches
> where the changes are introduced (0003 and 0004). I'm not convinced
> that we need 0004-0006 to be separate commits.

It was hard to review those separate patches, so I think it's better to merge those. OTOH, I can understand Haribabu-san's idea that the community may not accept the latter patches, e.g. accept only 0001-0005.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa