RE: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Andres Freund' <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: 2019-03 CF Summary / Review - Tranche #2
Date: 2019-02-18 02:13:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Andres Freund [mailto:andres(at)anarazel(dot)de]
> - Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries
>
> WOA: I think unless the feature is drastically scaled down in scope,
> there's no chance to get anything into v12.
>
> Andres: punt to v13, unless a smaller chunk can be split off

At a glance, the patch set looks big divided in 5 patch files, but the actual size may get much smaller by merging those files and excluding 004 (statistics views). I'm reviewing this. I wish this could not be given up yet...

> - Speed up planning with partitions
>
> NR: Important feature, but based on a skim of the discussion this
> doesn't seem ready for v12.
>
> Andres: punt to v13

> - Speed up transaction completion faster after many relations are
> accessed in a transaction
>
> NR: This has only been submitted 2019-02-12. While not a really
> complicated patch, it's also not trivial. Therefore I'd say this falls
> under our policy of not merging nontrivial patches first submitted to
> the last CF.
>
> Andres: punt to v13

I hope these will be continued in PG 12, because these will make PostgreSQL comparable to a commercial database in OLTP workloads. I'd like to hear from Amit and David on the feasibility.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa