RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Pavel Stehule' <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Yotsunaga, Naoki" <yotsunaga(dot)naoki(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Phil Florent" <philflorent(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics
Date: 2019-01-15 01:13:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Pavel Stehule [mailto:pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com]
> the cumulated lock statistics maybe doesn't help with debugging - but it
> is very good indicator of database (in production usage) health.

I think it will help both. But I don't think the sampling won't be as helpful as the precise lock statistics accumulation, because the sampling doesn't give us exactly how effective our improvements to PostgreSQL code are. I remember PG developers used LOCK_STATS to see how many (or ratio of) lwlock waits decreased by applying patches.

We can use the cumulated lock stats like:

1. SELECT * FROM pg_session_waits;
2. Run a benchmark.
3. SELECT * FROM pg_session_waits;
4. Calculate the difference between 1 and 3.

Or, reset the wait stats before the benchmark run and just use the stats as-is.

I'd like to know why you thought the cumulated wait stats isn't helpful for debugging.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa