RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Yotsunaga, Naoki" <yotsunaga(dot)naoki(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Phil Florent <philflorent(at)hotmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics
Date: 2019-01-11 01:09:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com]
> My theory is that the number of wait events is NOT useful information,
> or at least not nearly as useful the results of a sampling approach.
> The data that LWLOCK_STATS produce are downright misleading -- they
> lead you to think that the bottlenecks are in different places than
> they really are, because the locks that produce the most waiting can
> be 5th or 10th in terms of the number of wait events.

I understood you're saying that the number of waits alone does not necessarily indicate the bottleneck, because a wait with fewer counts but longer time can take a large portion of the entire SQL execution time. So, wait time is also useful. I think that's why Oracle describes and MySQL provides precise count and time without sampling.

Haven't LOCK_STATS been helpful for PG developers? IIRC, it was used to pinpoint the bottleneck and evaluate the patch to improve shared buffers, WAL buffers, ProcArray, etc.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa