RE: Recovery performance of standby for multiple concurrent truncates on large tables

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Recovery performance of standby for multiple concurrent truncates on large tables
Date: 2018-07-31 05:44:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com]
> It's not clear to me whether it would be worth the overhead of doing
> something like this.

Quite frankly, not really to me, too.

> Making relation drops faster at the cost of
> making buffer cleaning slower could be a loser.

The purpose is not making relation drops faster (on the primary), but keeping failover time within 10 seconds. I don't really know how crucial that requirement is, but I'm feeling it would be good for PostgreSQL to be able to guarantee shorter failover time.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa