RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Nico Williams' <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
Cc: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "David Fetter" <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, 'Craig Ringer' <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-12 00:20:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: Nico Williams [mailto:nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com]
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 01:03:44AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> > As a practical matter, when and where are you planning to post the
> > project policy? How would you check and prevent patented code?
>
> PG may need a contributor agreement. All I can find on that is:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/54337476.3040605%402ndquadr
> ant.com#9b1968ddc0fadfe225001adc1a821925

Yes, I thought we should probably need a CLA, but I was hesitant to mention it...

This is somehow off-topic, but a member in our IP department informed me that TPL only states the disclaimer for the University of California, not for PGDG or all copyright holders, which is unlike Apache License. Is this intended?

https://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE SOFTWARE PROVIDED HEREUNDER IS ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA HAS NO OBLIGATIONS TO PROVIDE MAINTENANCE, SUPPORT, UPDATES, ENHANCEMENTS, OR MODIFICATIONS.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa