Re: proposal: schema variables

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Pavel Stehule' <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: schema variables
Date: 2017-10-27 05:47:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Pavel Stehule
> I propose a new database object - a variable. The variable is persistent
> object, that holds unshared session based not transactional in memory value
> of any type. Like variables in any other languages. The persistence is
> required for possibility to do static checks, but can be limited to session
> - the variables can be temporal.
>

> My proposal is related to session variables from Sybase, MSSQL or MySQL
> (based on prefix usage @ or @@), or package variables from Oracle (access
> is controlled by scope), or schema variables from DB2. Any design is coming
> from different sources, traditions and has some advantages or disadvantages.
> The base of my proposal is usage schema variables as session variables for
> stored procedures. It should to help to people who try to port complex
> projects to PostgreSQL from other databases.

Very interesting. I hope I could join the review and testing.

How do you think this would contribute to easing the port of Oracle PL/SQL procedures? Would the combination of orafce and this feature promote auto-translation of PL/SQL procedures? I'm curious what will be the major road blocks after adding the schema variable.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa