Re: Allow interrupts on waiting standby

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Michael Paquier' <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Allow interrupts on waiting standby
Date: 2017-03-30 07:02:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Michael, Simon,

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Michael Paquier
> > Oh, I see. But how does the startup process respond quickly? It seems
> that you need to call HandleStartupProcInterrupts() instead of
> CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(). But I'm not sure whether
> HandleStartupProcInterrupts() can be called here.
>
> Bah. Of course you are right. We don't care about SetLatch() here as signals
> are processed with a different code path than normal backends.

So, I understood you agreed that CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS() here does nothing. But your patch still calls it:

+ /* An interrupt may have occurred while waiting */
+ CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS();

I got confused because the problem is not defined in this thread. What problem does this patch address? These ones?

* The startup process terminates as soon as postmaster dies.
* pg_stat_activity does not show the wait event of startup process waiting for a recovery conflict resolution.

My guess about why you decided to not call HandleStartupProcInterrupts() here is:

* Respond to postmaster death here.
* No need to reload config file here because there's no parameter to affect this conflict wait. But max_standby_{archive | streaming}_delay seems to affect the wait period.
* No need to handle SIGTERM and exit here, because the startup process doesn't wait for a conflict resolution here when he can terminate.

I think you can call HandleStartupProcInterrupts() here, instead of checking postmaster death. Did you perform tests?

Did Simon's committed patch solve the problem as expected?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa