Re: Hooks

From: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Jim Nasby' <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)BlueTreble(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hooks
Date: 2016-12-28 00:47:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

From: pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Jim Nasby
> AFAIK there's no way to get a list of hooks today, short of something like
> `git grep hook`. I think a simple list of what hooks we have, when they
> fire and where to find them in code would be sufficient.

How about putting a descriptive comment at the location where each hook variable is defined, using some convention (e.g. like Javadoc-style)? A separate document such as README and wiki can fail to be updated. OTOH, if someone wants to add a new hook, we can expect him to add appropriate comment by following existing hooks. Using a fixed tag, e.g. "<Hook>", would facilitate finding all hooks.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa